Creating your Lumerical Product instance and AMI using a windows based instance is outlined below.
- From the EC2 dashboard, go to Instances and Launch a new instance
- Choose Windows Server base, from the Amazon's quick start AMIs.
- Select the instance type, i.e. c5.large.
- Configure instance details,
- Use Spot instance (optional - not used in this example)
- add the instance to your existing placement group
- use the Security Group you created
- make the shutdown behaviour to Stop.
- Review and launch instance.
- Connect to your instance.
- Download and install Lumerical Products.
- Open and configure product license to obtain from your license server instance.
- Enter the private IP of your license server instance as the 'Server' in the Floating tab in the Licenses section of the Product Launcher.
- Open and run FDTD from the launcher or directly from the Windows search bar
- If FDTD is working and you can create and run your simulation, you can log off or disconnect.
- Stop this compute instance from the AWS management console when not in use.
Creating your AMI
- From the EC2 management console dashboard, go to your Instances and select the compute node you have created.
TIP: Add a name tag to this instance for quick identification .
- Ensure that the selected instance is in the STOPPED state.
- Otherwise, Stop the instance.
- Create Image from this instance.
- Provide a unique image name and short description of your AMI.
- Use the default or current settings.
- Create the image
- This might take some time to finish.
- Once created and available, you can use this AMI to launch more compute nodes.
- Take note of the AMI ID for your image. This will be used later for your Launch Template.
- This might take a few minutes to finish and get the AMI running and ready.