The process and guidelines in this article has been update for the Lumerical license that is running on the Ansys License Manager
Note: We recommend using Amazon Linux for the license server. It can run a smaller instance (t3.nano) and the OS Licensing cost is much lower (resulting in 1/3 the cost) and simpler when using our AWS Linux AMIs. Create a Linux License Server here.
DO NOT TERMINATE your license server instance - you will lose the HostID information used to activate your license.
Create the license server
- From the EC2 dashboard, select Instances on the left column and Launch instance.
- Choose Windows Server 2016 base, from the Amazon's quick start AMIs.
- Select the instance type, t2.micro.
- Configure instance details, using your VPC and Subnet.
- Use default settings for everything else.
- Add your storage size, Volume type as General purpose SSD (gps)
- Use your existing security group you created.
Review and Launch instance
This might take a few minutes to create and have the new instance running.
- Once the instance is Running, Connect to this instance
- Download the Remote Desktop connection shortcut.
- Copy the Public IP shown and click Get Password
- Choose the key pair file that was created and saved from the previous step.
- Decrypt Password and save the Public IP, Username and Password shown.
- Configure server to allow Internet or web access to 'Administrators'
Install the license manager
- Download and install the Ansys License Manager.
- Obtain the instance/machine HostID information from the Ansys LM Center.
- Activate your entitlement from the Ansys Licensing Portal.
- Configure the license file with static ports and add/install this into the Ansys LM on your server/instance.
- Log off or disconnect from your license server.
- Ensure that this license server instance is always up and running when you run simulations on your compute node.
- Take note of your license server's 'private IP address'from the AWS management console.
- You will use this for the Lumerical license configuration on your compute instance.
Checking the license server status
- Connect to the license server instance and run the Ansys License Management Center from the Windows Start Menu.
- Navigate to the Display FlexNet license status to confirm that the LM is up and running and the licenses are available for checkout.