We have the following guidelines for fixing these common Lumerical FlexNet licensing errors.
FlexNet Licensing error: -4 License number of users already reached
- If running a simulation job, check your resource configuration if you have enough solve licenses to run your simulation.
- See this post if trying to run multiple instances of the Lumerical CAD on Linux.
- Check for license status and usage on the Ansys license manager on your license server to verify license usage. Wait for the license to be returned by the current user(s).
- See this post, if the license is stuck in the 'checkout' state due to a network connection.
FlexNet licensing error: -5 No such feature exists.
- Ensure that you are connecting to the correct license server that has the license for the said product or feature.
- Check the license status and availability on your license server as shown here.
- Consult IT or admins for the correct port number and hostname or IP of the license server.
FlexNet licensing error: -5 No socket connection to license server manager service.
- Ensure that you can connect to the license server on the TCP ports used by the license manager.
- These are the SERVER and VENDOR static ports in the license file running in the license manager.
- Both ports should be allowed access on the license server.
- See this KB on how to configure the license file/server with static ports.
Error: Could not connect to Ansys license server specified at ...
- This is either a network connectivity issue or a firewall issue.
- No request for license checkout can be seen on the Ansys license manager log files.
- The traffic or request for a license checkout from the local computer did not reach the license server.
- The local computer running Lumerical is not able to connect or communicate with the license server machine on TCP port 1055 or 1056.
Try to resolve by:
- If accessing from a different computer, ensure that your license configuration is set to the correct port and server (check for typos). Consult with IT or admins for this information and if your machine can connect with the server.
- On secured networks, configure the license file with static ports. Allow access to these ports on the license server.
- When using a proxy server, unset the 'http_proxy' environment variable before running Lumerical.
- Edit the license configuration, 'License.ini' file to the correct 'domain' value for your license. See this page for details.
FlexNet licensing error: -21 License file does not support this version.
- This is similar to licensing error: -25. See FlexNet licensing error: -25, below.
FlexNet licensing error: -25 License server system does not support the version of this feature
- Your license is not compatible with this version of Lumerical. This typically means you have a paid-up license without active TECS.
- The problem can be resolved by renewing your TECS.
- The other option is to install an older version of Lumerical that was released while you had active TECS. e.g. if your TECS ended on Mar 2022, use Lumerical 2021 R2.5 or older.
- This error can also occur for customers using the Legacy Lumerical FlexNet License Manager with license issued prior to 2022. i.e. Lumerical Academic Node locked license or the Lumerical Floating license.
- Please contact your account manager to upgrade and buy the license for the Ansys License Manager.
- Otherwise install the older version of Lumerical that was released prior to 2022. e.g. Lumerical 2021 R2.5 or older.
The user or host/computer name that is trying to checkout the license feature is on the EXCLUDE list in the options file.
The user or host/computer name that is trying to checkout the license feature is not in the INCLUDE list in the options file.
- Contact your IT or license server administrator to update the options file on the license server.
- See this Knowledge Base (KB) guide for more information on the license manager options file.
- For error: -38, ensure that the user or computer name (host) is removed from the EXLUDE list in the options file.
- In the later error: -39, add the user or computer name (host) into the INCLUDE list in the options file.
- The license manager is down, did not reply to the request from the client machine or
- There is no access to 'SERVER' port, used in the license file by the Ansys license manager on the server, from the client computer.
FlexNet licensing error: -97 The desired vendor daemon is down
- This indicates that the VENDOR daemon is down, did not reply to the request from the client machine or
- There is no access to 'VENDOR' daemon port, used in the license file by the Ansys license manager on the server, from the client computer.
To resolve (-96 and -97):
- Make sure that the license manager is up and running. Try restarting the license manager.
- Configure your license server with static ports and ensure that the ports used by the license manager are open to allow access to the license server.
- Configure Lumerical to obtain the license from the correct license server and port. Check for typos or consult with IT for this information, i.e. use IP instead of hostname, is VPN required, etc.
FlexNet licensing error: -101 The system administrator has reserved all the licenses for others
All licenses are reserved for others. The system administrator has reserved all the licenses for others. Reservations are made in the options file. The server must be restarted for options file changes to take effect. Consult with your license server administrator to check your user/host is allowed access to the license feature.
FlexNet licensing error: -83 Version of vendor daemon is too old
Same as error: -140, see below for details.
Both error indicates that the version of the license manager is old and do not support the current version of the Lumerical software. Updating to the latest version of the license manager should resolve the issue.