This page explains how to specify the location, port number, and computer name or IP, of your license server without using the graphical Lumerical license configuration utility. This may be required for machines without a graphical interface or when setting system-wide license server configuration.
You can specify the hostname of your license in server two ways, with an environment variable or with a License.ini file.
Note: If both the License.ini file and the environment variable are set, the License.ini file takes precedence.
Setting an Environment Variable
- This method using the environment variable is supported starting with Lumerical 2021 R2.
- Configure the "License.ini" file as shown below, for prior releases, and accessing the Lumerical FlexNet license manager (legacy FlexLM).
ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE environment variable
Add the environment variable, ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE with the corresponding port and license server hostname or IP address on the machine running Lumerical.
Configuring the License.ini file
License.ini specifies the port and license server running your license manager. This file can be located in the user's home directory, or in a shared location that can apply to all users. If the License.ini exists in both locations, the user's local copy will take precedence.
- Create the preference file directory if it does not exist. Folder and filenames are case-sensitive.
- user's specific folder
sudo mkdir $HOME/.config/Lumerical/
- default global folder (root access required)
sudo mkdir /opt/lumerical/[[verpath]]/Lumerical/
- user's specific folder
- Create the "License.ini" file in the "Lumerical" folder that was created above.
sudo vi License.ini
- Specify the machine hosting the license manager and TCP port number used.
The file should contain the following lines: (default ports shown)
Replace the "domain" number with:
0 - for Ansys Enterprise product license,
1 - for Lumerical Standard product license, and
2 - for Ansys Standard product license;
which corresponds to the Lumerical Launcher (GUI) license settings as shown below for the Lumerical 2021 R1 release.
Triad license server configuration
Note: The example shown uses port 1055 and server1, server2, and server3 as the hostnames of the triad license servers. Change the port and the hostname to the port and hostnames you are using.
Windows: Separate the Ansys license server information with a comma "," and inside quotes "".
Linux: Separate the Ansys license servers information with a colon ":".