This page provides details on how to create an image from a virtual machine. This is used to create multiple virtual machines to run simulation jobs on several machines at the same time.
Notes: A license server VM running the Ansys license manager. Lumerical simulation suite is installed on the compute node VM.
Create and setup your license server
- Connect to your license server VM.
- Install Ansys License Manager and obtain the license server machine HostID information from the Ansys license management system. The MAC Address information can be saved to a file. This information is required for your license.
- Activate the entitlement and install the license file.
- Check the Ansys license management center if this is up and running and the license are shown in the view FlexNet licenses section.
Create and configure your compute node
- Create a VM as your compute node.
- Login to your compute node VM using Remote Desktop Connection.
- Install Lumerical product suite
- Configure the simulation tools to obtain the license from your license server using the IP Address or Hostname obtained from the license server setup, above.
- Ensure that you are able to open and launch the simulation tool you have license for.
- Install other application your want on your compute node.
i.e. Browser, Notepad++, Python, Gnome Terminal, X11 forwarding (Linux), passwordless login (Linux), etc.
- Logoff / disconnect from your compute node VM once everything is installed.
- Stop your compute node VM from the Azure portal.
Create a custom image from your compute node VM
Note: This process is optional but will allow you to spin several compute node VMs faster.
- Go to your Azure portal.
- Navigate to your Virtual Machines.
- Select your "compute node" VM. Ensure that it is "Stopped (de-allocated)" state.
- On the left column, click on "Create custom image"
- On the next screen, enter the required information to create your image.
- If you have a Windows VM, choose the option to run "sysprep" on your VM.
- Confirm and complete the process.
It might take a few minutes to create the image.
Important! The VM that was used to create the image will now be Unusable.
Create a virtual machine using a custom image
- On your Azure portal.
- Navigate to All resources.
- Select the image you want to use from the list. (the one created from above)
- Select +Create VM from the menu.
- Ensure that you choose the settings/options based on your current resources.
i.e. Resource group, region, proximity group, network security group, etc.
- Click "Review +create" to deploy your VM.
- Once created, log in to your compute node VM and verify if everything is working.