The guidelines shown here are to request the license for your workshop or edX course. The Ansys LM can be installed/run on the same computer as the Ansys Optics software or on a different computer (server) on your local network.
- Obtain the "Workshop ID" from your course instructor.
- Ansys License Manager 2021 or newer is required.
- Supported on Ansys Optics 2022 R2.1 and newer releases.
- Admin or root access is required on the local computer.
- The workshop license might remove existing Ansys Optics licenses that are on your server.
- It is recommended to install the workshop license on a machine that is not running your existing Ansys Optics licenses.
- License cannot be transferred to a different computer.
- Register and log into Ansys Optics with your organization's email. Free/web-based email domains are not supported.
Installation on a local computer
This method runs both the Ansys license manager and Ansys Optics on the same computer.
- Download and Install the Ansys license manager and Ansys Optics on your local computer.
- Open the Ansys Optics Launcher.
- If this is the first time you opened the Ansys Optics Launcher, select "I have a license from Ansys" when prompted to proceed to the "licensing setup".
- Otherwise, Navigate to the "Licenses" section on the left.
- Click "Request Workshop License".
- "Sign in" with your Ansys user account when prompted.
- Enter the "Workshop ID/Code" in the space provided.
- Select "Local Computer" for the installation location.
- Verify the local computer HostID information and submit your request.
- The license file will be saved in your "Downloads" folder.
- You will also receive an email with the license file.
- Alternatively, you can save the license file into a different folder on your computer.
- Add the license file into the Ansys LM.
- Configure Ansys Optics to obtain the license from the Ansys LM on the server: "localhost".
- Restart the Ansys Optics Launcher to apply your settings.
- This process is where the Ansys LM and Ansys Optics simulation software are on different machines on your local network.
- The Ansys license manager is installed on a different machine, i.e. the license server and Ansys Optics is on your local computer. This is helpful if the license server does not have an Internet connection or does not have Ansys Optics installed to request the license.
- Install the Ansys license manager on your license server. Obtain the server's HostID information from the Ansys license management center.
- Install Ansys Optics on your local computer.
Requesting for the workshop license is similar to requesting and installing it on your local computer. The only difference is the HostID information of the server will be used instead of the local computer.
- See steps 2 to 6 above (installation on a local computer).
- Select "Use another computer" for the installation location.
- Enter the HostName and HostID (mac address) obtained from the license server
- Submit your request.
- Save and copy the license file you received into the license server.
- On the license server, configure the license file with static ports and open these ports for access.
- Configure Ansys Optics on your local computer to obtain the license from the Ansys LM on your license server.
- Restart the Ansys Optics launcher to apply your settings.