The process and guidelines in this article are for the Lumerical license that is running on the Lumerical Flexnet license manager. If you have an ANSYS Entitlement/License File, download and install the ANSYS license manager. Install the ANSYS license file using the ANSYS license management center.
- Request a trial and/or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for your 8-digit floating mac-locked license.
- Access to Lumerical Quick-Start AMIs
- Create and configure your VPC and Security Group
- Create a key-pair
For the license server, we recommend using a t3.nano instance with a 10GB gp2 EBS volume. Using AWS Cost Calculator this will roughly cost 4.80$/month to run (USD, 1$/month for storage and 3.80$ for compute). We recommend that you run this calculation yourself using the region you will be operating in for a more accurate and up to date estimate.
Note: The license server can be "stopped" at any time when it is not needed. You will continue to be charged for its EBS resources, but not for the EC2 resources. When the license server is started again the license service will automatically come back online (after a few minutes). If no longer wish to pay anything for this instance you can "terminate" it, however, you will lose any active license activations on the instance. For this reason, we recommend enabling "termination protection" when creating this instance to protect against accidental termination.
Create a license server
We will create a small and inexpensive server to run the Lumerical license manager. Once you activate a license this server should persist until your license expires. You can stop (shutdown) this server to save costs when you aren’t running jobs. If you terminate (delete) the server you may invalidate your license file unless you detach and save the elastic network adapter. This more advanced use is not explained here.
To save effort building your own license server, Lumerical provides an AMI (Amazon Machine Image) with all the software pre-loaded. To get access to the AMIs, follow the instructions here. To create your license server follow these steps:
- Navigate to the EC2 service in the AWS Console
- Hit the launch instance button
- Search for the AMI ID provided by Lumerical for the latest license manager server and select it
- Choose the t3.nano instance type
- Enable "Termination Protection" to protect against accidental termination of the License Server and the resultant loss of license activations.
- Select your VPC and Subnet.
- All the other default settings should be fine, check the video if in doubt
- Accept the defaults on the "add storage" (10GB gp2) and "add tags" pages
- On the configure security group, choose the group created for your cluster.
- Review and launch your instance, selecting your key pair when prompted.
- You will see your server instance running in your instances list
Activate the license server (Legacy Lumerical FlexLM)
Note: The process shown below is for the Legacy Lumerical FlexNet license manager. For ANSYS licenses, see the overview above for details.
For this, you will need an activation code for a Floating mac locked license for the Lumerical Flexnet license manager from Lumerical.
- Connect to your server using ssh.
If you don’t have an ssh client (Windows) you could install Git bash or MobaXterm.
You can find the public IP address of your instance in the console.
It might take 5 min or so for your t2.nano license server to come online.
ssh -i ~/Download/lumerical-demo.pem ec2-user@instance_pub_IP
- Run the online activation utility to use one of your cloud pack activation code.
- You should see a message showing your available license counts. Your license server is ready to go.
- You can repeat this step any time you want to use another cloud pack license.
Checking license server status
At any time you can connect to the license server via ssh and check the status of your licenses by running the command:
Lumerical FlexNet license manager:
/opt/lumerical/lumerical-flexlm/lmutil lmstat -a -c 27011@localhost
ANSYS license manager:
/ansys_inc/shared_files/licensing/linx64/lmutil lmstat -a -c 1055@localhost
Lumerical FlexNet license manager web portal
- Add the inbound rule to your security group. Lumerical FlexNet license manager: TCP: 8095
- Connect to the web portal.
- Change your servers default password (recommended)
ANSYS license management center
- Log into your license server instance and open a web browser: