This page describes the behavior and requirements of a product evaluation (trial) license. This is using the Node trusted storage license model on Windows but with a few restrictions as described below.
- A user account with Lumerical is required using your institution's email. Free web-based email is not supported.
- Virtual machine (VM) activation is not supported. Evaluation licenses can only be activated on supported physical machines.
- Evaluation (trial) licenses cannot be transferred to a different computer.
- An active Internet connection is required at all times when accessing the simulation tools with an evaluation license.
- Offline Activation is not supported for Evaluation and CUE program licenses.
How to obtain a trial license
Free 30-day product trial/evaluation license can be obtained from the Lumerical Launcher.
- Download and install Lumerical on your Windows PC.
- Select 'Lumerical (Standard)' in the "Floating > License manager selection" and 'localhost' as Server.
- "Apply" and "Restart the Launcher" when prompted.
- Sign In with your 'Ansys Account' that you registered using your institution/company email.
- Select the example and "Obtain license".
Alternately, Navigate to the Products section and click on "Evaluate" to the right of the product/solver you want to try.
Product evaluation on Linux
The standard self-serve product evaluation and CUE program licenses are not supported on Linux. Contact Lumerical when using our simulation tools on Linux.
- Some computer networks are configured so that individual computers access the internet via a proxy server.
- Our simulation software generally detects the proxy server and works without the need for any additional configuration.
- However, if you are having trouble with the license validation through your proxy server, you may manually configure your proxy settings.
- A new window will appear if the automatic proxy detection fails, as shown below, enter the proxy server IP address and Port number, then click OK.
- If your proxy server requests a username and password, a second window will appear. Enter you username and password and click OK.
- The standard Windows proxy server settings can be configured using the settings in the "Internet Options" within the Control Panel.
- These settings are the same ones that are used by Internet Explorer. Normally if Internet Explorer is configured correctly then the product will find the appropriate settings.
- If you are having trouble with the automatic proxy server settings, check your proxy server settings in the Tools -> Internet Options -> Connection -> LAN settings menu of Internet Explorer.
Many computers use firewall software to improve security. Most firewalls are configured to allow all outgoing connections to the Internet but to strictly control incoming connections. The trial license validation process only requires an outgoing connection to the Internet, so normally no firewall configuration is required.
If you are using very strict firewall settings you may have to add exceptions for to your firewall settings to allow outgoing connections. The best way to test whether your firewall is interfering with the license validation process is to temporarily disable it. If disabling the firewall allows the license validation process to complete, then you should re-enable the firewall and add the following firewall exceptions:
- For FDTD: fdtd-solutions.exe, fdtd-engine.exe
- For MODE: mode-solutions.exe, fd-engine.exe, varfdtd-engine.exe, eme-engine.exe
- For INTERCONNECT: interconnect.exe
- The rest of Lumerical solvers: device.exe, device-engine.exe, thermal-engine.exe, dgtd-engine.exe, feem-engine.exe